I know it sounds crazy but yes, I do clean my face with straight oil. Oil breaks down oil. The basic concept of the oil cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and are stuck in your pores. Steam will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed.
- 1oz Glass Bottle with Treatment Pump
- Primary Oil: Castor Oil or Hazelnut Oil
- Secondary Oil:
Base Recipe Depending on Skin Type:
- Oily Skin: 1 part Castor/Hazelnut Oil, 2 parts Secondary Oil
- Balanced Skin: 1 part Castor/Hazelnut Oil to 3 parts Secondary Oil
- Dry Skin: Very Small Amount Castor/Hazelnut Oil to mostly Secondary Oil
- Prepare one of the above recipes in a glass bottle. Adjust as necessary.
How To Oil Cleanse:
- Oil Cleansing is best done at night before bed.
- Pour a small amount of oil into hand and massage into your dry face. Use smooth circular strokes and gently massage for 1-2 minutes. You do not need to remove your make-up first. You can let the oil sit on your face for a few additional minutes before removing if you want.
- (Preferred Method) If I have leisure time, I wet a clean wash cloth with hot water. I wring it out and then place it completely over my face. Steam on the skin removes the oils and any impurities in the skin. Enjoy the hot cloth for about 1 minute until it has cooled. Gently remove any left over oil.
- When I am in a hurry or too tired to keep my eyes open, I wet the wash cloth with hot water and hold it over my face for about 15 seconds. Then I lightly wipe the oil from my face being careful not to “scrub” my face.
- You should be left with a light layer of oil on your face.
Tips For Oil Cleansing:
Make your first batch small until you have come up with your successful combination of oils. I started using teaspoons and then made larger batches when I had figured out the right combination for my skin.
Once your face has adjusted, you may not need to use a moisturizer afterward. If your skin feels dry, use less castor/hazelnut oil and more of your secondary oil. You may need to experiment with secondary oils as well.
There may be an adjustment period of 1-3 weeks. It is possible to see oilier skin or more breakouts than normal in the beginning. This is normal when impurities are leaving the skin.
I put mine in a small bottle with a treatment pump that you can buy online.
While I don’t recommend using fabric softeners ever, do not use fabric softener on your oil cleansing clothes.
Oils are one of those areas where organic doesn’t always exist. Cold Pressed and hexane free are good words to recognize. But try to use organic and cold/expeller pressed oils if they exist.
Read this article to learn more about the benefits of oil cleansing.